President Uhuru Kenyatta will start a 12-day tour of all regions in Kenya on Tuesday hours after skipping the Presidential Debate.
Jubilee Party supporters were on Monday night forced watch Nasa flag bearer Raila Odinga’s 90 minutes of fame in the presidential debate aired by all leading television stations.
President Uhuru Kenyatta today accused opposition leader Raila Odinga of promoting hatred and incitement that led to the 2007-2008 violence.
He said Raila was at the heart of the violence that rocked Kenya following the 2007 elections as he had promoted politics of tribal antagonism.
Good morning Colleagues,
I hope you are well.
I’m aware you are all angry, frustrated and disappointed. You should be. The tens of millions of Kenyans who depend on Public Health facilities are too. I’m too.
Ironically, even those who can and should take action and make a difference for our country are equally angry, frustrated and disappointed. Read the rest of this entry
President Uhuru Kenyatta inspects the parade when he presided over the Kenya Police Service recruits passing out parade in Kiganjo, Nyeri County. Photo/PSCU
Uhuru Kenyatta today signed into law the Proceeds of Crime and Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill 2017, a tough legislation aimed at combating economic crimes.
“This is a major tool in our sustained efforts to fight corruption. It means that no proceeds of theft and corruption are beyond the reach of the State,” President Kenyatta said at the signing. Read the rest of this entry
Kenya’s striking doctors are telling their horror stories on social media using the hashtag – #MyBadDoctorExperience. Many relate to emergency situations and how doctors are suffering from having to deal with poorly staffed and under-equipped hospitals. The Conversation Africa’s Samantha Spooner asked Benjamin Wachira about the state of the country’s emergency medical services and what can be done to improve them.
Uber drivers in Kenya today took their anger to those vehicles that were still working as the strike entered its second week.
A number of drivers were stopped and harassed in Kilimani area in Nairobi for failing to join the strike.
The government has said 62 people have so far died from the Westgate Mall siege that has entered its third day.Two terrorists are amont those killed by the Kenyan forces.
The government said the smoke that had created anxiety at Westgate was the gunmen who had burned mattress at Nakumatt store.
In a Statement released to news rooms Cabinet Secretary for Interior Joseph Ole Lenku disputed the figures released by Kenya Red Cross Society which has been in the forefront of saving and removing victims from the scene of the attack.
“The death toll remains 62 and 175 injured. Some NGOs have given a higher death toll, which we believe to be incorrect owing to the possibility of double-counting,” Lenku said in an earlier statement.
Some of the victims have already been released to family for burial.
The government has warned Kenyans against contributing money for Westgate victims through suspect MPesa accounts.
“We would like to warn Kenyans against conmen. All Kenyans and other well-wishers are advised against sending monetary donations in respect of Westgate Mall to various MPesa accounts popping up everywhere. Please send money using only accounts published and verified by Government,” said Lenku.
No updates has been given as to the number of hostages still being held hostage by the 10-15 gunmen linked to Al Shabaab militia. Today journalist covering the siege had to scamper for safety after reports reached them that grenades were being thrown by the militias.
Read the release
UPDATE ON WESTGATE MALL SIEGE BY JOSEPH OLE LENKU, CABINET SECRETARY FOR INTERIOR AND COORDINATION OF NATIONAL GOVERNMENT Our gallant multi-agency security forces continued their operations overnight.
They have rescued a few more civilians held inside the mall, but a few still remain. We are unable to give precise figures at this stage. But we can confirm that our disciplined forces are up to the task and have been extremely careful to find the balance between neutralising the attackers and getting as many people to safety as possible.
The death toll remains 59 and 175 injured. Some NGOs have given a higher death toll, which we believe to be incorrect owing to the possibility of double-counting. Some of the dead have already been released to their families for burial.
We will in due course provide the number of foreigners killed in the attack. We would like to bring to the attention of Kenyans the following important information:
• First, we would like to warn Kenyans against providing false information to security agents on either people they believe are trapped in the mall or any other information as it takes away from the core task of bringing this siege to an end.
• Secondly, we would like to warn Kenyans against conmen. All Kenyans and other well-wishers are advised against sending monetary donations in respect of Westgate Mall to various MPesa accounts popping up everywhere. Please send money using only accounts published and verified by Government.
• Thirdly, we wish to assure Kenyans that security at all entry and departure points – including airports and the seaport — in the country has been significantly raised. • Fourth and lastly, we urge all Kenyans and people of goodwill to remain calm and vigilant. We thank all Kenyans for their support during this difficult time.
Thank you. Nairobi 23 September 2013 11:30 am