Is September the darkest month in Kenya?
September is now the black month in Kenya.
The worst tragedy was the Sinai slum fire that killed 100 people. The fire was ignited by fuel which had leaked from a Kenya Pipeline pipe.
Before the nation stopped mourning the Sinai fire, 26 people died in Nyahururu and Ruiru after consuming ‘fortified wine’. The laced drink which included ‘Yokozuna’ among other brands blinded several people.
These deaths came at a time the country was still mourning the death of 23 people who perished in a road accident in Mbooni. The accident killed members of the same family who had gone to visit their in-laws.
And then came saddest news of all-the death of Wangari Maathai as a result of Ovarian cancer. The country is still shocked and mourning the death of an icon. Flags are flying at half mast and she will be the third Kenyan to be accorded state funeral. The others being First president Jomo Kenyatta and Vice President Wamalwa Kijana.
Major deaths in September
August ended with the burial of 23 people— most of them members of one family— died in a horrific accident in Mbooni east district as they were returning home after visiting their in-laws in Makueni.
To many it was good riddance to a month of tears as August has come to be known as. Bu how wrong we were?
September 5: Three people died on Friday night while 11 others seriously injured when two lorries got involved in a head-on collision along Karatina – Kiganjo road in Nyeri county
September 7: Eight people drowned and 26 were rescued after a cattle truck they were in plunged into a swollen river in Isiolo.
September 9:Eight people died on the spot in a road accident along the Meru-Embu highway,a week after another accident had claimed 10 lives.
September 9:Five people perished in a road accident along the Machakos-Makutano on Wednesday night
September 12: More than 100 Sinai resident perish in a fire.
September 13: At least 19 die after consuming laced drink ‘Yokozuna” in Nyahururu
September 14: Seven die after consuming laced drink in Ruiru.
September 17:11 people died after a road accident involving a bus and a lorry in Manyani area .
September 18: Three confirmed dead after a building collapses in Vihiga.
September 19: 13 people died in Mwingi accident
September 20: Five people die in a tanker fire in Busia,the fuel trailer overturned and Busia residents wanted to scoop fuel.
September 24: 17 people die in a road accident involving Eldoret Express bus in Lodwar.
September 25: Wangari Maathai dies of ovarian cancer at Nairobi Hospital
September 28: Scores hospitalized after inhaling toxic gas in Shauri Moyo
September 29: A plane crash kill a south African journalist in Mombasa
The following sections are considered risky for motorists due to the number of accidents that have occurred in their vicinity.
Motorists are advised to take extra care whilst driving in these areas.
1. Nkubu – Embu Road Section
2. Konza Junction To Salama Road Section – Mombasa/Nrb At Chumvi Area
3. Salama – Sultan Hamud Road Section
4. Emali Simba Market To Kibwezi
5. Mtito To Tsavo River Stretch
6. Nanyuki To Isiolo Junction At Subuiga
7. Machakos – Wamunyu Road Section At Kithangathini
8. Mlolongo – Small World Club – And Juction To Namaga And At Mto Wa Mawe Bridge
1. Kiganjo – Narumoru Road
2. Kibirigwi – Sagana Road Section
3. Limuru – Uplands Section
4. Thika Blue Post – Sagana Bridge Road Section
5. Kiriaini – Muranga Road Section
6. Nyeri – Nyahururu Road
7. Makongeni (Along Thika – Garissa Road)
8. Makutano Embu Road
9. Kiambu – Muthaiga Road
RIFT VALLEY PROVINCE
1. Kinungi – Naivasha – Gilgil Toll Station
2. Gilgil – Mbaruk Road Section
3. Molo G.S.U Camp – Salgaa
4. Salgaa To A.D.C. Farm Section
5. Timboroa – Burnt Forest Section
6. Chepsir – Kipkelion Junction
7. Kericho – Litein Road Section
8. Kericho – Kaitui Section
9. Endebes Eldoret Road Section
10. Nanyuki Isiolo Junction
11. Nyeri – Nyahururu Wiyumiririe Area
12. Gilgil Nakuru Road Kasambara Area
1. Tsavo – Maungu – Voi Road Section
2. Wundanyi – Mwatate Road Section
3. Maungu – Tsavo East Gate Road Section
4. Maktau – Taveta Road Section
5. Mazeras Miritini Road Section
6. Rabai Ribe Road Section
7. Kaloleni Dzitsoni Road Section
8. Kilifi – Vipingo Road Section
9. Kibarani – Changamwe Makande
10. Kwale Matuga Junction Road Section
11. Tembo Disco Area Along Msa – Malindi Road
12. Kengeleni Traffic Lights
13. Buxton Traffic Lights
14. Saba-Saba Lights
15. Kibarani Area
16. Sportsman Changamwe Area
17. Navy Junction Long Lunga- Lunga/Likoni Rd
18. Shika – Adabu Area
19. Waa Sec. School Area
20. Gede Area Along Msa-Malindi Road
1. Mbale – Vihiga Road Section
2. Kakamega Chavakali Road Section
3. Kakamega – Kisumu – Ilesi Museno
4. Kakamega – Mumias Rd – Makunga
5. Kakamega – Webuye – Lubao, Kambi Ya Mwanza Ejinya Corner, Malava Forest
6. Bungoma – Eldoret – Chemoi
7. Kitale Webuye – Lugulu Misikhu
1. Awasi Ahero Road Section
2. Kiboswa Kisumu Road Section
3. Daraja Mbili – Bondo Junction
4. Oyugis – Katitu Road Section
5. Migori Kakrao Road
6. Gucha Bridge
7. Migori Township
8. Ogembo Nyanguso Road
9. Kisii Township Main Road
10. Mwembe Area Kisii Town
11. Kisii Daraja Mbili
1. Kasarani G.S.U Stretch
2. Westlands Museum Roundabout
3. Westlands Kabete Road
4. Mombasa Road Between Kencell Hqrs 7 Cabanas
5. Jogoo Road Near Maziwa Stage
6. Waiyaki Way Near Kangemi Fly Over
NORTH EASTERN PROVINCE
1. Garissa Madogo – Kbc Station
2. Modogashe – Habaswein
3. Ukasi – Bangale
4. Bangale – Hola Road Junction
5. Buna – Gurar